Fana anyone?


So after frogging the Fana Tuft Mittens from the book Folk Mittens  (Thanks Mom & Dad for the Christmas gift!) because they were too big, I managed to get the body of the first mitten done and the cuff of the second in only a few hours.  I altered the pattern to be more like the traditional Mitten pattern in the beginning of the book to size for Children’s size large.  This adjusted the cast on to 40 stitches and reduced the thumb gore to only increase 14 stitches over 14 rows.  I also altered the decreases at the top to do the 3 point instead of 4 point decreases.

Where you see the white “lice” are the stitches where the cashmere roving is attached to the mitten.  I think I may not have attached even amounts because the mitten is kind of bulging is some spots, but I’m playing it by ear.  The black yarn is holding the thumb stitches in preparation for picking up.  I’m going to finish the body of the second mitten before doing thumbs.

I also lined up the projects which I will be active on for a while, once I finish the Fana Tuft Mittens and the Selbuvotter:

Boundary Waters Shawl (Commute)
Gedifra Lordana Boucle Jacket (Home)
Angel Lace Shawl  (Spinning & Knitting) (Home)

Later today we’ll be have a Skype video session with Eric’s family upstate.  I hope this works because my neices grow up so fast, we’re missing a lot and the video is a way to keep up with how they’re all doing.

BTW, if there are any other knitter/Skype folks out there, I’m letsknit2gether.

Making some progress in 2008

Happy New Year!


I started knitting these during Thanksgiving week, but then I put them aside to get work done on holiday gifts.  These are from the book Selbuvotter by Terri Shea.  I’ve done the cuff from Annemore #7, the hand from NHM #7 and I’ll do the thumb from NHM #9.  I’m knitting these using Knitpicks Palette.  I recently purchased some Norwegion yarn that I think I’ll use for the next pair since the Palette splits too much with these size 0 needles. 

It’s been a while since I’d done any stranded knitting so I didn’t really do well with these until 1/2 way up the first mitten.  I think I missed the first 2 M1 at the start of each side until later into the thumb gusset.  We’ll see how they come out.

The weather is supposed to get down into the teens tonight, only wish that I’d finished the mittens before tonght so that I could wear them!

I also started the FanaTuft mittens from Folk Mittens.  I’m using Pattons Classic wool in soft blue and white with Cashmere for the Tufts.  Tufts are the way you attach wool fiber or yarn as a way of adding a lining to the mitten.  I had to frog them and start over because they were coming out way too big.  I’ll post a picture when I make more progress. 

I’ve also been spinning more of the camel/silk, seen here in this photo on top


I’m swatching now to knit Evelyn Clarks Angel Lace Shawl.  This is spinning up to be a very fine laceweight.  I’m using my .90 oz Golding Psunami spindle.